Self-Care is how you take your power back.– Lalah Delia
What is Self-Care anyway?
Self-Care is the practice of taking action to preserve or improve one’s own health. It is also the practice of taking an active role in protecting one’s own well-being and happiness, in particular during periods of stress. As simple as this sounds, this is the hardest thing for us to comprehend and take action on. Most people when asked, do you take care of yourself? Would say “yes” I take care of myself what type of question is that? It gets a bit tricky when asked, In what way do you take care of yourself? I know personally, that self-care is usually the last thing on my to-do list, because life always seems to take over.
What Self-Care Isn’t.
The best way to start off on this journey to improving your self-care is to understand what self-care is not. Self-care isn’t a selfish act. Most people have taken on this notion that self care seems a bit selfish and honestly not given yourself the adequate amount of care is what is truly selfish. It is not only about considering our needs; it is about knowing what you need to do in order to take care of yourself, and being, able to take care of others as well. You have to remember, if I don’t take care of myself, I will not be in the place to take care of to my loved ones either.
Self-care is the key to living a balanced life.– Your LifeStylist
9 Self-Care Basics Every Boss Chick Should Follow:
- Spend enough time with your non-toxic loved ones. As for the others, just because they are family doesn’t mean you have to be around them (remember that).
- Create a “no” list, with things you know you don’t like or you no longer want to do. Examples might include: Not checking emails at night, not attending events you don’t like, say “No” to things you just don’t want to do.
- Promote a nutritious, healthy diet that promotes healthy mind, body and good for the spirit.
- Take time out of your day to be with yourself.
- Exercise, exercise is as good for our emotional health as it is for our physical health. A good workout regime is not only good for health but it helps you to become more disciplined and motivated.
- Follow-up with medical care. Know whats going on with your body. Make sure to get your checkup.
- Use relaxation exercises and/or practice meditation. You can do a simple 1 minutes breathing exercise. This will allow you to grab a moment of clarity.
- Get enough sleep. Adults usually need 7-8 hours of sleep each night.
- Do at least one pleasurable activity every day; lunch dates, movie night, taco night , take a yoga class.
- Look for opportunities to laugh! Laughter is good for the soul and it keeps you looking young.
Start small pick a few things from the list above and try them for 21 days. You should start to feel free, relaxed, motivated and most of all LOVED!